Friday, March 2, 2007

My first month in Durbs

I wrote a nice long blog yesterday, only to discover that somehow it didn’t work and now I have to write it all over again. Technology has not been on my side lately. I had my cell phone stolen this past weekend, my laptop died a few days ago, and now this. Sometimes I swear we were better off before we depended on all this stuff.

So let me try to rewrite the update and catch you all up on my first month here. Classes started about 3 weeks ago and are now in full swing. I’m currently taking two classes: Economics for Development and Comparative Development Problems and Policies. Both are on the challenging side, mostly because of my lack of background in either development or economics, but I find them both very interesting and am really enjoying learning (I’m a dork). We only have three class sessions in total each week, but each class requires about 7-10 hours of reading, although I think it takes me longer than the average student because of my inexperience in this field. There are about 25 students in our program, and I am the only American. I actually really enjoy being the only representative of my country, although I have to suffer a lot of America bashing on my own, both from my two British roommates and during classes. I’m often reminded that American English is not real English and that US policy is ruining the world. I like to think they’re all just jealous that they’re not Americans. It’s all in good fun though. I really love the diversity of our program. There are students from Norway, the UK, Canada, Zimbabwe, Angola, and Malawi, to name a few. I certainly have a lot to learn from many of these people.

Other than keeping busy with class, I’ve been readjusting to life in South Africa and falling in love with the country all over again. While it has been a bit tougher this time without the protection and guidance of a study abroad program and twenty American friends always at my side, the challenge has been good. As I mentioned, I had my first run in with South African crime when my cell phone was stolen from my pocket at a club the other night, but I should’ve known better than to keep it there and at least it was just my phone and not my wallet or anything. We actually live in a safe part of town not far from the university. Well, it’s a 25 minute walk (uphill in the 85 degree weather… not always pleasant). I have been relearning how to hand wash my clothes in the sink, how to take baths rather than showers, and how to live with cockroaches (this last one has been particularly difficult as I have been woken up a few times with a cockroach crawling across my face… disgusting). We certainly aren’t living a hard life though. We have a pool in our complex, we go out on the weekends, and we try to make our way to the beach about once a week. Not bad, eh?

This past weekend my two flat mates (Laura and Andy) and I took a trip a couple of hours south of Durban to the Wildcoast. It was great to get out of the city and away from work and enjoy some hiking and relaxing. The Wildcoast is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been. I remember when I went there last time thinking that it was the “happy place” that you always picture in your head, but never believe could actually exist. The beach is nearly untouched and empty and the rolling hills are green and seemingly never-ending. If anyone saw the movie “Blood Diamond,” it was actually filmed here. All of the diamond mining scenes in the river were actually in the Wildcoast.

So that’s my life in a nutshell. There have been some bumps along the road, of course, but for the most part everything has been great. I have had some homesick moments when I wish I could be with my family and I realize how long a year really. But the other day I had a feeling of complete contentment, like this is exactly where I’m supposed to be right now in my life. That is a wonderful feeling. I am excited to discover what the next several months have in store and what I will learn. I miss you all very much and hope to hear from you soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jaime (Danny's cousin),

Your pictures were awesome!!! You make Africa sound so unbelievable. Sorry to hear about your cell phone, same thing happened to you most popular cousin Dan in Spain it must be a Gentile thing. We miss you too and hope that everything continues to go well. Stay safe and we look forward to reading your blogs and seeing more of your pictures.

Love,
Aunt Joanne and Kristyn (danny's sister)

Anonymous said...

hi jaime!
i miss you very very much! it sounds like you are having an amazing time. i am glad you are enjoying yourself and embracing every moment. i hope to talk to you this week!!!
love, corey